Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Today is not particularly special here in Japan. It's a Thursday, and that means your butt had better be in the office by 8:30, and that's all.

(Yesterday was a day off, though. No connection to Thanksgiving. It was the Japanese version of Labor Day.)

This is not to say that Japan does not celebrate Thanksgiving. In the fall, Shinto shrines across the country have a ceremony in the fall where people thank the deity of the shrine for the bountiful crops that year. The concept is the same. The dates are different.

Anyway, to go with the theme of Thanksgiving, here's my list of

What I'm Thankful For

I'm thankful for my health.
I'm thankful for my family.
I'm thankful for my sister, who is an absolute goof, but is the most awesome person anyone could ask to have for a little sister.
I'm thankful for my father, who would prefer to have me come back home and work for him at his company, but loves me enough to let me live my own life and do what I want to do.
I'm thankful for my mother, who never hesitates to hit me with a zinger, but loves me enough to stick up to her own father when he was displeased with the direction my life was taking.
I'm thankful for my Grandpa Nelson, who shared his experiences of serving in WWII with me, and also taught me that you can't see people in black and white.
I'm thankful for my Grandma Nelson, who is an amazingly funny person and who taught me that is isn't the gift but the thought behind it that really counts.
I'm thankful for my Grandpa Kidd, who I don't remember that well anymore, but I remember his tickle attacks when I was little and the back-stretching table he had in his workshop that was quite possibly the coolest thing my six-year old eyes had ever seen.
I'm thankful for my Grandma Kidd/Morgan, who forgave me when I acted like a little snot to her when I was younger (the more appropriate four-letter term also begins with an "s" and ends with a "t") and really is one darn fine cook.
I'm thankful for my Grandpa Morgan, whose suspenderiffic wardrobe has made for some great comedy moments at family reunions.
I'm thankful for my Grandma and Grandpa Chambers, who aren't really my grandparents, but allowed me and my sister to "adopt" them as such. G'pa Chambers convinced my dad to go back to college, and G'ma Chambers is the sweetest little old lady you'd ever like to adopt as a Grandma.
I'm thankful for my friend Hiroshi, who trusts in my ability as an English teacher enough to ask me to come up to Hokkaido and work with him at Starfish High in order to improve the school's English Program and the school overall.
I'm thankful for my friend Dave, who has honored me beyond my capacity for expression by naming his son Dustin.
I'm thankful for my friend Czar, who reintroduced me to the wonderful world of pro wrestling and is one of my favorite people to talk to.
I'm thankful for my friend P-Dog, whose mutant ability to make obvious hyperbole seem to be factual awes and shames me, and whose similarly skewed view of the world is strangely comforting.
I'm thankful for my friend Masahiro, whose words "Why don't you study Japanese?" started me on the long, strange trip I've been on ever since.
I'm thankful for my friends back in Shimane, who have greatly supported me since I've moved up here.
I'm thankful for all of the friends, teachers, and people I've met who have influenced me and shaped me into the person I am today.
I'm thankful for all the other people I've forgotten to mention. It's not on purpose.
I'm thankful for Wasabi-kun, which is the first car I've ever bought with my own money. Wasabi-kun has been a great partner on my myriad voyages across the Land of the Rising Sun.
I'm thankful that I work in a job that I enjoy.
I'm thankful that I live in a country that never ceases to amaze and amuse me.
I'm thankful for every day that I live and breathe.

But most of all, I'm thankful that I've reached my 50th post on this blog. Yeah!

2 Comments:

Blogger Peaceful Warrior said...

Dustin,

I just wanted to say that I'm not only thankful to know you, but feel very blessed to have you as a part of my life. All for one and one for all, you JABRONI!

Czar

Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Rocksaw said...

Happy Thanksgiving - hope you found it in your heart to gorge yourself silly.

Like the rest of us.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home