Monday, December 19, 2005

The Good And The Bad...

...tend to balance each other out, no?

Today was the last time I would be teaching the third year beta students, so I organized a pizza party for class. We all chipped in some cash for the pizzas. The students also brought snacks. One of them even baked a cake especially for the party. It said, "Thank You Dustin" on it. It was a cool gesture. And hey, it was good cake. Apple sponge cake. Mmmm, cake.

We ate pizza, snacked, watched some videos, and generally had a good time. It was a fun way to wind up that class.

From what I understand, other than for a couple of days, the majority of our third year students won't have to come back to school after winter vacation. Students that are still studying for entrance exams will be exceptions to that. There will be no more third year classes after we get back in January. This means that I will have no classes on Friday. Hmmm...

No complaints here.

I'm sure I will have plenty of actual work to do, but the concept of no classes on Fridays makes part of me smile.

So, anyway, good last class with my third year betas.

This led into an absolutely crap class with my second year betas that just wore me out and left me in a weird funk. There are about four students in the class who ruin it for everyone else. Just out of control. And I'm so ready for winter vacation that I can't really summon up energy to do anything about it.

It's classes like that that make me wonder what the hell I'm doing here.

It would have been nice to have those classes in the opposite order.

Here's the kicker.

I called a former coworker this afternoon. I'm heading back to Shimane for New Year's, and I wanted to ask if I could participate in the Kitcho-san festival at Izumo Taisha again this year. I took part with the group from his area, and I had a great time. I caught him at a bad time, and he said he'd call me back.

Which he did.

He told me some news that broke my heart.

See, he is the principal of the elementary school that the former student of mine attended.

The former student who got hit by a car and was hospitalized.

In a coma and on life support.

She died.

Damn.

Not a good month to be a student of mine, former or otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home