Saturday, October 22, 2005

An Empty Shell

I am beat.

It feels like someone bent my spine at a 90-degree angle about halfway up my back, and then had the local Ground Self Defense Forces do some military exercises on it.

I'm feeling a little old today.

Starfish High's Open School (v 2.0) started today at 10 A.M. There was a mike check/set run-through scheduled in the morning, plus all the other preparations for today's event, so I had to be here at 7:45 A.M.

I woke up at 7:47 A.M.

A groggy look at my clock was followed by a panicked jump out of bed, half-stumble down the ladder out of the loft, and a jump in the shower. I showered, shaved, got dressed, and was at school at 8:06 A.M.

Sometimes I impress even myself.

I ran for the auditorium and caught the band as they were in the middle of the second song of the set. I ran around behind the stage and got in place. When Erika, the singer, called me out on stage, I was right on cue. The best part was hearing Mr. Yamane say "What? Dustin was here?" out of the sound booth. Made my day.

Everything worked out well with the run-through, so I went back and helped out with setting up. After that, I was on standby for the performance. After the absolutely embarrassing performance last week (on the intro), I was slightly freaking out backstage. "Don't suck this time!" "Don't mess up the lyrics!"

"C'mon, Dustin!"

I went out on stage, bantered a bit with Erika while everyone got ready, and then we launched into "Linda Linda".

We kicked ass!

The crowd response was fantastic, and my singing sounded a LOT better this time. It was so much fun. Not that last time wasn't, but after watching the video of our performance, I was a lot happier with the way things turned out.

There was a bigger overall turnout this time, so I had more students come to my demonstration classes. I think this group was a little less nervous as well. It was a fun experience all day long.

Today, Eisaku pulled off one of the most brilliant pieces of cleanup work I've ever seen. He told students that if they liked the pumpkins, they could take them home. Both the students and Starfish High win! The students are happy because they got a cool-looking Jack O'Lantern to take home, and Starfish High wins because we don't have to worry about what to do with the pumpkins after they go bad! We only have the two huge pumpkins left. Not a problem.

So, with all of the students gone and all of the cleanup finished, I sit here at my keyboard, exhausted, finishing this so I can go home and take a nap.

Overall, I think today's Open School was a bit more successful than last time's. A lot of students seemed really impressed with Starfish High, and quite a few of them said that they want to come here next year. So who knows, come April, I might just still have a job up here! Woo Hoo!

I will now go home and enjoy my one-day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home