Thursday, February 16, 2006

Test Time Revisited


Three freakin' days of test time hell are finally over.

On Valentine's Day, we had written tests for Japanese, English, and Math in the morning, and then interview tests with students from far off areas in the afternoon. By the end of those tests I was ready to scream. But I still had to go through the files on all the other students and take down notes for the interviews the next day. I got about halfway done and then burnt out a circuit in my head. I couldn't stare at and/or write Japanese any longer.

So I went home, changed out of my suit, and walked down to a steak house for dinner with some friends. After dinner, even though the original plan had been to go bowling and maybe catch the late showing of "King Kong", we went back to my place and watched "Moulin Rouge". Good flick. Good musical. And Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman can SING!

Then I passed out from exhaustion.

Next morning (2/15) it was off to work early. We had interview tests



There was a short break for lunch, but...


The annoying thing about the testing situation is that the majority of the students that came here aren't even interested in Starfish High. We're just a practice run before the "real" tests for public schools. We even had some real class acts who told us in the interview that the only reason they applied here was as a last resort, in case they didn't pass the test at the school they really want to get into.

Hey, pal, let me tell you something. We may be desperate for students, but we don't need someone with an attitude like that.

You just want to tell them to not even bother with the rest of the test and get the hell out of the interview room. Even if it's just practice, at least try and come up with an interesting lie.

They told us that once the tests were done, we could leave. So I planned on going to see "King Kong" at 5. But they lied. We didn't get to leave any earlier than usual. So I went home and vegged out in front of the TV for a while, debating whether I should go to bed or go to the movie.

Finally, I decided that if I kept pushing the date back (the original plan being Sunday), I wouldn't go at all, so at 7 PM, I bundled up and set out on my trek to the theater.

I arrived at 8 PM. Thirty minutes to spare. So I played some video games and then went up and bought my ticket.

I gotta say it again...good film. That scene with the bugs is so dark, and the music matches so well, that this overwhelming sense of despair comes over you.

Once the movie was over, I made the long walk back home, stopping in for a couple beers at Ippuku-tei before cruising back.

Today was test correction day. 260 tests. Circling, totaling, writing down scores. For FIVE HOURS.


We had a staff meeting at the end of the day, and then I cruised on home.

I am so freaking tired.


Blogger Megan said...

You LIKED King Kong? Peter Jackson's King Kong or the old one?

Thursday, February 23, 2006 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger Havok said...

Both of them, actually.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home