Saturday, February 18, 2006

Walk The Line


"I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends up for the tie that binds
Because you're mine
I walk the line."

- Johnny Cash, "Walk The Line"

I saw it. I finally saw it!


It started showing in theaters across Japan today. One of those theaters is located an hour east on Route 36, in Tomakomai. Which meant that come hell, high water, or an alien invasion from Alpha Centauri, my butt would be firmly planted in a seat in that theater watching the movie.

My good buddy Czar (who, it would seem, is having an EXTREMELY good time in life lately...way to go, bud!) clued me in to the fact that this movie was being made.

I watched the preview on line a few months ago.

Chills. Goosebumps. Joaquin Phoenix as The Man...in Black? It worked, at least from what I saw in the preview. Actually, it didn't just work, it blew me clean out of the water.

I found out Thursday that "Walk The Line" would be playing starting this weekend. I made plans to get out to Tomakomai. These plans ended up involving Eisaku.

I made sure I was dressed appropriately for the movie, which meant I wore my Johnny Cash hooded sweatshirt. (Check out the picture.) We piled into the Debuwagon at 6 and headed east, stopping for a hamburger dinner at a steak house on Rt. 36. "Burgers at a steak house?", you ask incredulously. Well, the steak would have set us both back forty bucks, so we went with burgers instead. Good burgers, though.

Then a stop near the station in Tomakomai for coffee...as in Seattle's Best...as in a raspberry-flavored mocha. Hell yeah.

Fully caffeinated and happy, I headed into the theater.

Lights go down.

Movie starts rolling.

I enter the world of "Walk The Line".

The first thing I noticed was that the executive music producer was none other than T-Bone Burnett, the man responsible for the fantastic music in "The Ladykillers" (gospel) and "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" (folk music). Definitely a good sign.

Joaquin Phoenix had his part nailed. The voice. The singing, while not Johnny Cash, captured the essence of Johnny Cash. The look. The whole package. He convinced me. For two-plus hours, he was Johnny Cash. Amazing.

Even more amazing, however, was Resse Witherspoon as June Carter. Listen to her sing "Jackson". She nails that little growl June Carter had in her voice when she sang it. It was spooky how much Reese Witherspoon sounded line June Carter. I think I need to buy some June Carter Cash CDs. Reese Witherspoon was that good.

I was tapping my feet and nodding my head along with each song as it came on. Brilliant.

I walked out of the theater with a nostalgic tear in my eye and a smile on my face. I'm looking forward to the DVD...hint hint, Mom and Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home