Monday, January 23, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!

(I'm a little late in getting this up, but...)

January 23. My mom's birthday.

My mom is cool.

She's got the goofiest sense of humor of anybody I know. I attribute this to the fact that she is a Nelson. I've got some goofy aunts of the Nelson variety and a very goofy Grandma Nelson. (I mean this in a good way.) I figure that my being a half-Nelson (har har!) probably explains some things about my sense of humor as well.

She is a damn fine cook. I always get sad around Thanksgiving because I won't be able to partake of mom's turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy and...oh, sorry. Split pea soup. Lasagna. Sweet and sour chicken. And I have gained an appreciation for the salads she makes.

She's a tough woman. She was born with bad hips and has had to deal with that her whole life. More surgeries than I can count. Pins in her legs. Hip replacements. Having to get around on crutches. And she just keeps truckin' on. Very tough.

She's ambitious. After my sister and I were both far enough along in school, my mom went back to school. First, she studied at the local community college, then after graduating from there, she moved on to study at the branch campus of a larger university. Having graduated from university myself, I know that it must have been really difficult to take care of us and her studies at the same time. But she did it, and she graduated with a degree in...something (sorry, Mom).

She's strict when she needs to be, but it's never unnecessary. She busted me when I needed to be busted. But she was never unfair. (Although, you don't ever want to make her mad.)

She is always there to lend a helpful comment or a friendly ear, even when I'm half a world away.

She's one heck of a mom, and I'm lucky she's mine.

Anyway, Mom, I just want to wish you a Happy Birthday, and I hope you and Dad have a good time celebrating it.

Love ya, Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home