Friday, March 03, 2006

Drinking With The Big Boss

Tomorrow is Starfish High's graduation.

Today we had graduation practice. I didn't go though. I had a much more important job to do.

I had to put up congratulatory messages from various universities, high schools, technical schools, etc.

Yippee.

Actually, it wasn't too bad. Just a little tedious.

In the evening, I went to a BBQ party with the basketball team. We ate at the ski lodge at Danpara, a ski resort here in Muroran. The view from the restaurant was amazing. Muroran is actually a pretty town at night.

It was an all-you-can-eat-and-drink dinner, which meant the beer was watered down, but it was fun to watch the basketball team play drinking games with soft drinks and tea. The familiar call of "Chug! Chug! Chug!" loses some of its appeal when someone's chugging oolong tea.

Damn goofy kids.

After that party, the Big Boss (see also: Mr. Nakajima) and I went to Tetsuya, a bar he always goes to. We met up there with Mr. Yamamoto, a former SH teacher who quit at the end of last school year. It was really good to see him again, as he was one of the reasons I decided to work at Starfish High.

When I came up to interview in November of 2004, he came out to the party we had that night. According to Hiroshi Numero Uno, he wasn't really one to just drop all of his work and head out to a party with other teachers. I was impressed. I was even more impressed when I ran into him the next day in Sapporo at the Kiinokuniya bookstore. He came up to me and said, "Please come to SH next year. Let's work together to make it a good school." That had a lot of influence on my decision.

Then, when I got up here last August, I asked where Mr. Yamamoto was.

"Oh, he quit."

Huh?

Ahh, well. It was good to see him and talk with him again. Nice guy.

So we ended up drinking for about six hours altogether. I had a bad feeling that things might not be so good when I woke up the next morning. So I bought a bottle of The Power of Tumeric, drank it, and went to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home