Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Taco Time

Today, I conducted a cooking class with some of my second year students.

I showed them how to make one of the finer dishes available in the States.

That's right...TACOS!

The second year students went to the U.S. last summer for their school trip. (A school trip to a foreign country? How freaking cool is that? I think the best we did in high school was a school trip to Kennewick to see some exhibit or other. We crossed a river. They crossed an ocean.)

While they were there, most of the students had a chance to partake of Mexican food. Cuisine that is sorely lacking here in Japan. At least restaurant-wise.

You can, however, buy taco kits if you know where to look. I know where to look. So when I told those students that I had had a taco party recently, they said, "Hey, we want to make tacos, too!" The students that had eaten tacos in the U.S. had enjoyed them very much, it would seem.

So I made a bargain with them. "You guys try a little harder in my class, and we'll make tacos."

The bargain was made, and the class improved a bit. So, I went out yesterday, picked up the necessary stuff, and we had some taco goodness in my class today.

One good thing about Starfish High: if you want to do something a little different with your classes, it's pretty easy to do it. You don't have to go through a lot of red tape.

Funny thing about my students: I told them that since we were going to make tacos, they didn't need to bring lunches today. But they all said that a couple of tacos weren't going to fill them up. Okay, smarties, if you say so. Do what you want.

EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM said, "Wow, I'm full. I didn't need to bring a lunch today after all."

See? But do you guys listen to me? Noooooooooo.

Those tacos were good, but they put me out of commission in the afternoon. No, not THAT way. A vicious wave of sleepiness hit me and made me useless for the next two hours. Not a bad thing, though. I didn't have any classes in the afternoon. Woo hoo!

2 Comments:

Blogger Peaceful Warrior said...

Hey Dustin,

I should send you my Carne Empanada recipe. Feed it to your students if they're not doing well in class! LOL that would show them!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Havok said...

Czar,

I would be all over that. Hook me up!

You gonna be online this weekend, say, Saturday?

We have things to discuss, my friend.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 5:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home