Thursday, April 20, 2006

Playing Catch-up Part 2

The Saga Continues...

4/7/2006: The Move

Friday. The last day of Spring Vacation. Time to get the last few things ready for the school year.

After finishing up play practice at 2, I headed back to the office to get changed. It was time to move classrooms around.

Desks and chairs were moved all over the place. The third year classrooms, which had been on the second floor, were moved up to the third floor. The second year classrooms were moved to the other end of the second floor. The first year classrooms got moved over to the other side of the third floor. The classroom I used for a lot of my English classes got moved down to the second floor. Storage rooms got turned into classrooms. Stored stuff had to be moved. Students were drafted to help. It was a crazy circus.

But somehow it all got done.

We had a welcoming party for our three new teachers that night at a really cool bar. It looked like someone renovated an old storage house. The roof was high, the spaces were open, and the food was relatively good. Although some weirdness happened at the end of the party, overall it was fun.

Eisaku gave me a ride over to the station, where I met up with Scott, Judy, and Katie. We all headed back to my place and talked for a bit. Katie took off for home, Scott and Judy rolled out their sleeping bags, and I climbed up into my loft after setting all of my alarms for 3:45 AM. We had a big day ahead of us, so it was lights out early that night.

4/8/2006-4/9/2006: The Train Trip

I will write a separate post about this once I finish everything else up. I've got pictures and stuff.

4/9/2006: The E-mail

So I got home safely, completely wiped out from my weekend's adventures (you can read an excellent write-up of them here). I turned on my computer and checked my e-mail before going to bed. There was an absolute doozy of a mail in there.

"Dustin, this is XXXX from Kumamoto. I found your e-mail on the Internet and decided to e-mail you. How are you? I'm sorry if I surprised you."
Wow. Now there's someone I never expected to hear from again. I was completely floored by the fact that she would even think of e-mailing me. We didn't break up under the best of circumstances, and there was a lot of stuff that was going on behind my back that I only found out about later.

I was very bitter about that for a long time. A LONG time. But I'd moved on and was operating under the assumption that I would never hear from her ever again.

And yet, here we are.

Between being extremely tired and completely amazed that I'd gotten an e-mail from her, I laughed for a bit and then wrote an e-mail back, figuring, "Why not? This should be interesting."

A reply came back soon, and we e-mailed for a bit. It was amusing. Here are some of my more favorite quotes:

"I was so surprised to hear from you. I didn't think you'd write me back. I did such horrible things to you."
"So have you gone out with anyone else since we broke up?"
"Did you throw away the stuff I gave you?"
"Wow, this is really nostalgic. It reminds me of when we were going out."

I suppose I could have gotten pissed off at her, but what would have been the point?

I asked her where she found my e-mail, and she said that she ran a search of my name and found a site where someone had posted a scan of my business card that had my e-mail on it.

I asked her why she e-mailed me. "Is my e-mailing you a nuisance?" Not particularly, just a bit unexpected. "I was just wondering how you were doing."

Ooooooooookay. If you say so.

This is one that I just have no idea how to handle. Not that I really care either way. Like I said, it took me quite a while, and even now I can get fired up about things when I talk about her, but I've moved on. I guess this is just one of those things that you have to file under "Weird, Bizarre, and Just Plain Odd".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home