Friday, June 09, 2006

Hail Bacchus!

So we had a student teacher at Starfish High for the past two weeks...

She was a student here back before the school mutated from Ben High School into a Starfish.

She's studying to be a teacher, and came back here to get her real-life shock taken care of.

I'm guessing she handled things pretty well.

As she's leaving tomorrow, we decided to have a farewell party for her tonight. Pretty much all of the staff showed up, and we all drank and ate and talked and laughed and had a good time.

A startling majority of the food had mayo on it, though. This severely limited my dining options for the evening.

I.

Cannot.

Stand.

Mayonnaise.

Bleck.

However, I made my first tentative steps into the Wonderful World of Whiskey, and by the end of the night, I didn't really care about it anymore. Not that I ate any, of course. It just didn't bother me as much.

After the first party finished, we went to another bar for the second party. This bar is the favorite watering hole of Starfish High's own Yakuza Sensei. Twelve teachers tried to cram into a room designed to seat about only eight people. Not the most comfortable of arrangements.

While the first party had been a lot of fun, the second party went downhill pretty fast. The other teachers started talking about work stuff.

I don't know what it is about alcohol and Japan, but people here really seem to LOVE to talk about work while they're drinking.

You stay way too late at the office.

You go out drinking with your co-workers.

You talk about work.

No wonder a lot of salarymen and office workers in this country die from overwork or end up committing suicide. People never get away from the office!

Jack and I split a little early. His wife came and picked us up, and she was kind enough to give me a ride home. Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home