Thursday, August 03, 2006

The San Diego Chronicles - Day 12: Coronado

Today, Denise took us out to Coronado.

But, before I talk about that, I have to say something.

THE SUV TREND HAS GONE WAY TOO FAR.

While the students were in class today, I walked over to a restaurant near the International House to get some breakfast. Usually I have a bowl of cereal (and watch some "Angel" on TV) before I catch my bus, but today I felt like trying to get some biscuits and gravy, or chicken-fried steak, or an omelet...some kind of greasy spoon 'merican breakfast that I can't get back in Japan.

So as I was being shown to my table, I got stuck behind a family who had small children in...

Is THAT a stroller?

Looked like some sort of new munchkin-warfare tool.

A baby stroller, by JEEP.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just left acceptable reality. Please fasten your saftey belts and return your seats and trays to their upright positions. This is gonna be a bumpy ride.

Rant over.

So Denise took us out to Coronado. We took the ferry across the bay. Nice little ride. Got to see the USS Midway from the bay, which was nice (even though it was the second time we had done it). We walked to the nearest bus stop and caught the bus to...

...the beach (with Point Loma off in the distance)! Which was right next to...

...the Hotel del Coronado, aka "The Del".

This hotel has been used in several films, probably the most famous of which is "Some Like It Hot". (Which, by the way, is a great film, and the last line..."Well, nobody's perfect." Classic.)

We just hung out there for a while, goofing around on the beach and taking a look around the Del. The sand on the beach was really fine, and it felt good to walk around barefoot in it.

We caught the bus back, and then the students all took off for home. I walked on over to Fred's Mexican Cafe to join up with Kadie, a teacher at the International House, and her boyfriend Ryan. Kadie had invited me to come along so we could talk about life in Hokkaido, as Ryan and her were interested in possibly coming over here to teach for a while. So we talked over margaritas. Mmmm, tequila.

I had to book it back on over to the International House after a bit, because I'd been invited to come out to a Japanese restaurant with some of the IH staff. A chaperone for a group of Russian students was leaving soon, and she wanted to eat some Japanese food before she left. I came along for the ride.

Not bad stuff, really. Expensive, but tasty, and the shabu-shabu gives me bragging rights with my students. Mwa ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home