Friday, August 04, 2006

The San Diego Chronicles - Day 13: Comics, Guitars, and Cajun Food

Today we had a free afternoon, so I headed out with three of my students to show them around San Diego.

First we caught a bus out toward Balboa Avenue and The Comic Shop. A couple of my students are BIG comic fans, and I thought it might be fun for them to see an American comic book store.

It was. They were practically drooling over the figures and English-translated manga.

Then we caught a bus straight downtown, because one of the other students wanted to take a look at guitars, and I'd seen a guitar shop downtown while I'd been slumming around there a few days before.

We got off the bus and were waiting at the crosswalk when...

BAM!

An explosion, followed by something wet hitting my foot.

WTF?

It took a few minutes for it to sink in, but some psychopathic butthead (and other choice words) had decided to get pissed off about something and throw a glass bottle into the road. Which had explosively shattered and sent pieces of glass and god-knows-what-kind-of liquid onto my foot.

Once I actually figured out what was going on, I was livid.

My students were freaked out by the whole thing.

We headed over to the fountain in front of Horton Plaza so I could clean off my feet. One of the students had actually gotten cut by the glass, but she said she was okay.

(fill in appropriate obscenities directed toward bottle thrower here)

We walked over to the guitar and checked out the stuff on display, and then wandered around the Gaslight District for a while. A hat shop, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, a Hawaiian souvenir shop, etc etc.

Then we headed back to Old Town, and the students headed home, while I headed out to eat some dinner.

At New Orleans Creole Cafe.

Jambalaya and beer straight outta Louisiana. Abita Beer.

Damn, Cajun food is good.

Plus, you get Mardi Gras beads when you pay. I wonder if those work outside of New Orleans and outside of Mardi Gras.

"Hey! Show me your (edited for content)!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home